Sign in to follow this  
plumas.placer.miner

Mining License Plate Frames?

Looking for a license plate frame that says something about mining, I discovered that the choices out there seem pretty limited. Sure, I could get a vinyl sticker on a plastic license plate frame that says anything I want, but I was searching for something that was a little higher quality than that. My thought is that when I am out in the field, or at my claim, and somebody drives in and sees my truck, they will be made Keene-ly (pun intended) and immediately aware that a miner is in the vicinity. (Maybe there's an argument to be made that advertising this fact isn't a good idea!) If that's the case, then maybe for your driving-around-town pickup it could be a cool idea. *

So, I am going to start a thread that asks a couple questions:

1). Does GPAA, PLP, WMA, AMRA or New49'ers, (or any clubs or chapters for that matter) think this could be a good way to raise some money by selling these?

2). If so, what would be some examples of things a custom mining license plate frame would say? (e.g. "I'd Rather Be Prospecting", "Gold Is Where You Find It", "Detector Prospector", "Shut Up and Dredge", etc.). Maybe one with GPAA's logo on it?

It is a cool looking logo!

I would proudly display one, if what is written on it is cool, and it was made of metal, not plastic. College alumni license plate frames go for around $40-$50. Maybe there's a margin for profit there?

Example (but a cheesy one)

http://goldrushguys.com/products/id-rather-be-license-plate-frame/

Other suggestions for witty quips? (quitty whips..haha)

post-16417-0-97287400-1420239079.jpg

Here's another example of something, along the same vein, I thought was kinda cool: A custom hitch receiver cover with your organization's logo on it.

http://www.autoplates.com/store/custom_apps_a_PhotoHitchCover.html

But after 15 views, and zero responses, I can see there's no appetite for this thread. Additionally, at $35, there's not much margin in it either.

I've seen some that say: Earth First - We'll mine other planets later

To be honest I am concerned that if I have a pro-mining license plate some self righteous and arrogant environmental terrorist / extremist will purposefully damage my car - especially in California, where ill-informed environmental zealots run rampant.

I've seen some that say: Earth First - We'll mine other planets later

To be honest I am concerned that if I have a pro-mining license plate some self righteous and arrogant environmental terrorist / extremist will purposefully damage my car - especially in California, where ill-informed environmental zealots run rampant.

I agree Chris! I stopped putting any bumper stickers or anything on my vehicles several years ago. NRA stickers say you have guns, etc. Not worth advertising to a would be burgular or robber.

Yeah,  I'd be inclined to go for tee shirts, hats and flags.  Broken windshields over numbskull's impulse actions ......not good.

Besides I like to swagger my pro-mining attitude.  Wearing my stuff puts the pressure on the anti-miners to step-up.  I rather enjoy a nose to nose conversation.

I thought a little positive public relations effort might be a good idea, and organizations that sell these items could benefit by raising money for their legal endeavors, newsletters, etc.  License plate frame, hitch receiver cover, t-shirts, coffee mugs, it's all the same to me because it puts mining in the minds of those who may not have thought about it. It's like putting mining's best foot forward, so to speak.

My justification might go something like this...Instead of being fearful of attitudes that (I believe) others might have, I prefer a more proactive approach. That is to say, if the mining industry suffers from a poor reputation, as many people assert, then in my mind the correct thing to do is to make an effort to change that misperception  in every way possible, including a little public relations.

Advanced member, Rod, above, has the right idea I think. If you display something, a t-shirt, license plate frame, what have you, and that item starts a conversation, then you would have an opportunity to discuss mining with someone. I will call it, "Winning the hearts and minds" of those who may not have thought much about mining. Now that, in my opinion, is a goal worth pursuing.

And just because a person, such as myself, might have a different opinion than someone else, doesn't mean I have to argue with them about it. I saw it written like this: "I don't need to go to every argument, even when I am invited."

Also, I thought that having a license plate frame with AMRA (or some other such organization's logo or name) on it, might affect how a government agent might approach you when you cross paths in the woods. That is to say, if the agent understands that you are affiliated with organizations like AMRA, or PLP, then the agent might be a little more inclined to treat you with respect. I think those organizations have the potential to keep the government organizations on their best behavior. And, if it's backed up with a thorough understanding of mining law, then John Q Ranger might wish to avoid trying to pull the wool over your eyes.*

Those are some of my thoughts for starting this thread, and it seems clear that I am of a different mind about some of these things, than are some of these members. I happen to like having these conversations, and I like finding finding where the conflicts are. Seeking areas of potential conflict puts me in a position to find a solution. The conflict is actually a benefit, not a liability because I learn.

In my mind, it's all about the learning; not about being right. Nevertheless, I think my reasoning about this is pretty well thought-out.

On a final note, I finally decided to buy a magnetic sign for my truck that proudly displays GPAA's logo. I can put it on and take it off when I like and I can let my mining flag fly whenever I wish! For lack of a better term, I will call it "liberty".

You are right Geo, that's my sign:  :D

I did learn a valuable lesson back in the day when I was a respected California dredger. 

People who sought me out while at the diggins' loved and admired me and my actions.  I was made to feel special.   Or they kept their distance and took photos.  Nowdays, I don't get to convey that expression of being a caretaker of the aquatic environment.  In print I have been converted into a different class of person.  Many, many uneducated and ignorant people have formed the opinion that I'm their personal problem.  For some unknown reason to me,  things changed so much,  that now people say and print horrible untrue lies about my dredging adventures.

I didn't change very much, the anti-miners ramped-up their propaganda and developed their non-profit save the environment preaching.  To me, the high volume of lies and profanities aimed at me, because of my love for mining,  is societal genocide.

Glad you joined us Plumas.

All good points to be sure.

But I am of a slightly different ilk I guess. I don't (can't) subscribe to the "We have already lost the war" attitude in any of the facets of my life.  Maybe experience will teach me differently in the long run, and the likelihood that I will join the ranks of "I should just shut up, put my head down, and mine", will increase over time, but I guess I will need to learn this myself; I am someone who learns by my own experiences. Associative learning is challenging because the variables can change in human behavior.

Insofar as education is concerned, or on the subject of learning, one should be careful about generalized assertions or conclusions. I have been teaching in colleges and universities for about 20 years and I might know a little about the topic. :) This much I know for sure: Humans can alter their behaviors if they are motivated to do so. This happens every single day in my classrooms and labs. In fact, behavior modification is one of the definitions of learning, and it is a measurable definition. It's testable and repeatable. In education, I don't have the luxury of giving up on my students just because "behavior is learned in preschool". Behavior is learned, and reinforced, and altered, throughout one's life. Well, at least it is to those who are motivated to learn.

I am motivated to learn about mining, and I thank all of you folks for helping me to do that in your own ways.