Sign in to follow this  
eric_mecum

Need Help With Texas Fine Flake

I live in Texas and the gold I am finding is very small flat flake pieces even powder. I am new to prospecting but it seems impossible to pan, it runs right out of the pan. I bought a blue bowl but even at super low speeds I watch the gold leave. I have built 2 water tables now, if the gold has some shape to it, it will stick to the table, however, most is very flat and just washes away. BTW I screen everything and run everything at desperate times. Screens are 30,50,100. I don't find many pickers, but I would like to capture all the gold I find. I am having a lot of fun but getting discouraged now because nothing seems to work. Hope someone can help

Are you sure it's not "fools gold"?

Even fines should stay in the pan.

And, the Blue Bowl works ok on fines as long as it is classified and you don't "blow" it out with too much water.

I would question if it is really gold or "new to prospecting" methods...

Do you know anyone that can confirm it is gold?

One of my gold equipment purchase's was a Angus MacKirk Lab & Field Orfino shaker table, I must say I am pretty impressed with how well it work's. Recover's fine gold beyond 200 to 300 mesh. And it didn't break the bank.

Eric ,just out of curiosity. I too am from Texas,I am not a miner/prospector but have a profound interest in what other's are doing in this endeavor. What area in Texas are you mining or retrieving this gold from if you don't mind saying.

dick

Its hard stuff to recover, so don't feel too badly.

The blue bowl will recover it if run properly and all the material screened to minus 50, then run with slow water.

Miller tables will work, but again you need to screen to a very small size like 50 mesh and then run the water real slow.

Shaker tables work, but even they take much work to set up and you need to pre-screen the material.

Do you put soap in your pan ,Dawn dish washing liquid it keeps gold from floating out of your pan also have you built a mini  sluice with small ribbed rubber matting and use a small piece of miners moss at the beginning  of the mini sluice to catch all of the gold you could run this with the blue bowl pump or purchase a 500 GPH sub pump 12 volt you also need to add soap to this setup or jet dry , but I think jet dry costs to much, and when you run it in a pan or mini sluice use about a teaspoon of cons at a tine , I made my mini sluice by cutting a piece of 4 inch ABS pipe in half length wise about 3.5 feet long mine recovers small flake gold better than a blue bowl or the Desert Fox Gold wheel and it costs next to nothing to build , set it up between two 5 gallon buckets raise one end higher than the other fill one bucket with water to pump from and return the washed cons to, just clean up the mini sluice when you are done wash the riffles into a pan and finish panning out the rest of the gold , there is always a lot to learn,  but why spend a fortune on equipment when you can build it yourself  and have it work the way you would like it to work..

I also work with very small gold and have come up with some creative ways of proccessing in the last 20 years and if you do not have anyone to teach you the techniqis it is difficult to learn on your own , I have not really found much information on proccessing your concentrates after a day or week of high banking or sluicing , I also run mine up to 3 or 4 times to catch all of the gold I may have missed the first 2 or 3 times through the equipment , also take a look at you tube they have some very informative videos on gold recovery and Facebook has a few sites that will help ..You could also look into building a centrifuge , I have been thinking about  it should not be to hard to build one , almost all of the equipment for gold mining usually costs a small fortune , I build my own 4 inch dredge for about $1500 instead of the $5000 to $6000 everyone wanted for one and I built all of my high bankers and sluices I picked up a nice 4x10 foot piece of aluminum for $150 and cut it and bent it to shape I picked up a used Honda pump for $150  and it came with the hoses , you can build a beach box for fine gold recovery or any type of recovery equipment you can imagine , if you do a little research you can find the info you need to process your gold without losing it .....

I have been trying to post photos of my fine gold recover methods and results, put my photo size is to large. I am most definitly not a computer guru, but I don't give up easy. I can say patience is definitely a must when working with concentrates smaller then 20 mesh. B)