Sign in to follow this  
Rick N

March Issue Of Icmj

What he has found in the past is not what you said - you said;

You may be close to a significant discovery.

If you know this, why not tell us how far away from that significant discovery he is, and in which direction.

?So I crushed one quartz rock showing some gold, 375 g rock produced about 4 grams AU. My calculations work out to 22 opt?

I know about the "nugget effect" in sampling but was surprised with this calculation.

I wouldn't worry about the nugget effect right now.

Consider it as a pocket mine for the time being.

Hand sort the better stuff to get a revenue stream going.

My favorite reference for pocket mines is Tom Bohmker's book, "The Elusive Pocket Mines of South Western Oregon."

eric

Went on business trip and took along a copy of GOLD by R.W. Boyle. Good read in chapter 16 - Oxidation and Secondary Enrichment of Gold Deposits.

Pretty accurate description of my workings, supergene enrichment and follow it down. Now I have a good understanding as well as a direction.

Gossan above the seam is washed out and pale in comparison to the gossan below the quartz. I would assume I should be sampling right at the contact of the gossan and footwall area for migrating gold from the oxidation process. 

It also describes the "series of three" occurrences I keep reading about regarding the seam diggings here. I had assumed these series were horizontal but now realize it is a vertical reference.

"There are, however certain general regularities that can be mentioned, one of which is the fact that many auriferous deposits exhibit a vertical zonation manifest by a surface-oxidized zone or gossan in which there is frequently, but not always, an enrichment of gold often in the form of the native metal. Such enrichment passes imperceptibly into the primary gold-quartz or gold-sulfide ores that are leaner in gold." 

"The ideal vertical zonation in an oxidized gold lode is, a highly gold-enriched near surface gossan or oxidized zone, a highly gold-enrighed secondary sulfide zone at or near the present or former water table, and a lean gold-bearing primary zone that extends to depth." It also states that "considerable divergence from this ideal zoning arrangement is common".

How do I determine water table depth?

If you or your neighbors have wells, what depth is it to water? The water table is the level of standing water in the ground - where the water stands in a well that is not pumping. In your area I would expect it to be down much deeper than the surface workings you are mining on.

Do check for surface enrichment, but I would not just flat assume all the gold you are finding is automatically going to be supergene. It may not necessarily be so, and may be primary or Hypogene and just in its original place.