Sign in to follow this  
Harry Lipke

Gold Hog Yukon Mat

Harry,

You asked if anyone has "used" it. Are you asking if anyone has "seen" it?

I have not seen it or used it. I have seen and used all of the other Gold Hog Mats.

Are you asking for a product endorsement?

The problem with product endorsement is that "it worked great for me" doesn't work well for someone else and therefore, I misrepresented the product and assume personal liability for the misfortune of the rest of the world.

If... I publish a "Negative Product Review" then, I personally become liable for defamation of that product. The manufacturer could take legal action for damages related to lost profits both present and into the future.

- Geowizard 

Harry, I refrained from comment on the new Yukon mat because I haven't used it.  I'm also interested to hear what actual users of the new mat have to say.  I did take a look at the new Yukon mat and watched some of the Gold Hog video presentation on it.  I'm always interested in the new mats that Doc comes up with.  I wonder what miners think about independent exchange zones whereby your fine gold has the ability to travel side to side on the mat surface?  

I like the Gold Hog matting concept and appreciate the comprehensive testing that Doc does.  I'm glad he came to market with a novel product providing a new option for miners, although the matting is pricey.

I have fitted an assortment of Gold Hog matting in a custom long tom as well as a custom 4" dredge.  On the dredge, I have a section of raised expanded metal over the Under Riffle (UR) matting, which seems to be a similar concept to the new Yukon mat with 4# grating over it.  

Wish I was in the Yukon running a wash plant and seeing an ounce an hour.  I would probably put a section of the new Yukon mat somewhere in the runs to see how it performs vs. miners moss.  

As you know, the Gold Hog mats are HEAVY, which is a downside to them.  My recommendation would be to keep lengths to 4 ft.

Although stiff, they will roll up just like a piece of miners moss and can be placed into a clean-out tub (I use rectangular cement mixing tubs), then rolled around and bounced.   It usually doesn't take much time or effort to get the mats clean.  By the way, I don't use the side tape trick on the edges to get a good fit.  I just trim the mats for a very precise and snug fit.  Fitting the mats together is another downside to them.  It can be a tedious and laborious process of careful trimming and gluing.  I understand that commercial ops can have mats pre-cut and configured.

Another downside I have noticed is if left in the direct sun, the rubber mats will expand and move, so I tend to cover them with a few shovel-fulls of sand to keep them cool when not running.

The mats I have in the dredge consist of a top section of about 18" long followed by a section that is about 42" long.  After some run time, I will stop and do a check of the top mat to see how things are looking.  I will pull just the top mat and do a quick cleanup, either get inspired or depressed, then reinstall, and fire back up.  This is a very common dredging technique, so nothing new here.

I will often leave the lower mat in and run without cleaning it out for up to 12 hours of run time.  When it's time to clean the lower mat, it gets carefully rolled - starting from the top, allow gravity to be your helper, and roll 'er up with an eye on the edges of the mat.  Just like with moss, you don't want to be dropping material over the edge of your sluice box.  The heavy roll of mat gets dunked and cleaned in the waiting tub at the end of the sluice.

This is straightforward stuff and am not sure why you asked… regardless, there you have it.  

Geo

I am not looking for a "product endorsement". 

Only if anyone had used it and the results for them.

Just saying that it worked great for them or didn't work in their application I don't believe is going to cause any legal actions...  If it did, there would be no need for these forums....

I looked into running the Yukon Mat in section or complet replacement for our boxes that we built this spring but I'm told that it requires a steeper angle than regular moss and we don't have the flexibility. I would love to hear reviews from people that switch and try it. Maybe next year.

outnaboutnak, that was my concern too.  It appears to require about 3" per foot drop.  I can't get that without raising the trommel another foot. (and raising the feed area too).

I may just end up doing that.....