Sign in to follow this  
GoldBellMining

If You Were Dredging In Alaska, Where Would You Start?

Hey guys, If you didn't have a claim, and you wanted to make friends, learn, and just have an overall good year with chance of getting some real color, where would you guys suggest? I want to have a good year, and find at least some color to make it worth it. Of course none of you know EXACTLY where the gold is, but I'm sure you guys have your favorite areas. I know most of the grounds are claimed, and the free and pay to play areas aren't that great at producing, but you have to start somewhere and I would like to see where you guys would have started, if you could have gone back knowing then what you knew now!

Thanks!

Cory

Cory,

A few of us know where the gold is. We aren't looking for gold. :)

Ophir is an example. Miners discovered gold there in 1910. Ophir experienced 70 years of production and 70,000 ounces of gold was produced. That's an average of 1000 ounces per year.

Is it over?

"It's over when I say it's over!" (Robert Duvall, Apocalypse now!) :)

Ophir continues to produce gold. I am pressing down on the "nugget patch". It is a possible "intrusive" i.e. intrusive that didn't reach the surface. A fractured golden halo is present over the nugget patch with nuggets as seen on www.stampede-gold.com .

Moore Creek produced 50,000 ounces of gold. Records show 1938 production was 6,500 ounces of gold. Yankee Creek produced 4300 ounces of gold in one cleanup. New exploration is revealing more targets that may contain the lode gold sources for many known placer gold deposits!

- Geowizard

Cory,

A few of us know where the gold is. We aren't looking for gold. :)

Ophir is an example. Miners discovered gold there in 1910. Ophir experienced 70 years of production and 70,000 ounces of gold was produced. That's an average of 1000 ounces per year.

Is it over?

"It's over when I say it's over!" (Robert Duvall, Apocalypse now!) :)

Ophir continues to produce gold. I am pressing down on the "nugget patch". It is a possible "intrusive" i.e. intrusive that didn't reach the surface. A fractured golden halo is present over the nugget patch with nuggets as seen on www.stampede-gold.com .

Moore Creek produced 50,000 ounces of gold. Records show 1938 production was 6,500 ounces of gold. Yankee Creek produced 4300 ounces of gold in one cleanup. New exploration is revealing more targets that may contain the lode gold sources for many known placer gold deposits!

- Geowizard

Tracking the gold back to it's original source should be any miners plan, and with the constant movement of the tectonic plates, earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, and natural erosion, you would think that new opportunities to find new undiscovered lodes increase, even in places that may have already been explored. Wish I was a Geo Wiz... or at least know more about what I was talking about! lol

It's a good one, originally published by the old Bureau of Mines in 1971.  We left it on the old site because a few folks had set up links to it.  Eventually that site will disappear. 

It can also can be found on our current site, in our Beginner's Corner section (which can be found under the Resources tab).  If you want to permanently bookmark the page, I'd suggest using this link: How to Mine and Prospect for Gold