Sign in to follow this  
RotGrub

Rotgrub Moving South Part 1 & 2

Trying to keep this forum alive...

We've been prospecting a good AMRA claim in CA and the two videos below show our activities in search of the old creek bed. I'm no expert but give my theories as to past activities and where the old creek bed might be located. Any advice is appreciated...

part 2

Wow. That's a whole lot of work. Even within the gravel layers when you get close to bedrock there will be paystreaks and areas where there is only a little flood gold.

When doing this sort of work, the old timers would put down a series of test holes to bedrock to look for a paystreak, then follow the streak up and down river. The diagram I've attached shows Nos. 1-4 across the width of the creek bed, then Nos. 6-8 following along the pay streak where they would mine it underground.

There are safety issues as well. You get too deep and a hole like that can collapse. The old timers shored up deep diggings like that with timber.

I am also guessing the Forest Service was unhappy. That is the kind of digging with hand tools that some F.S. staff might call a significant disturbance. I'm interested to see what happens.

I wish you were getting more gold - its hard to stay enthusiastic when working that hard and getting only a few colors. If it were me, I'd be moving on looking for a better spot.

post-2-0-08331400-1439225719_thumb.jpg

Chris, The FS had issues with where we were parked... He thought that we might start a fire if we drove into the meadow where the dry grass is high. We were parked / camped in the dirt... This FS officer was one of the officers that pulled a Taser on 2 AMRA miners on another claim... This little claim has produced good gold (for us) in the tailing channel; our best weekend was 5 dwt... We decided to look for the old creek bed and began test pit 3 about 50 ft to the south of test pit 2 which we believe is located in the old tailing channel. In part 1 & 2 we test panned and even did 5 bucket runs as we went down through the layers and nothing but traces of fine gold. The cobble got me excited but I believe these cobbles were picked out of the old pay dirt and stacked in or near my pit. I like you diagram as it gives a dose of reality as to not just finding the old creek bed but more importantly the pay streak... I'm now right at the edge of safety and if we decide to further investigate we will need to bench or shore the sides. I'm at the point of abandoning this pit but we hit what I believe is bed rock at 7 ft. Take a look at the third video and let me know what you think.

http://youtu.be/imdrvBB5jhA

All I can say is that the bottom line is you are not getting any decent gold. Abandon that spot and move on - it doesn't matter how much work you put in as you are not getting significant gold.

Hoe come you can expand the test holes that were productive up or down stream? That isn't really addressed on the video and not knowing the spot, I cant say, but if you were getting good gold in one hole, why leave it to dig a different hole?

Fill in the old hole with the diggings as you expand it up or down stream and se if you can follow that pay streak you have already worked.

Chris, I agree. TP1 & 2 are located in the current creek which I believe is an old tailing channel. There are no big rocks and only a few cobbles in this area. The history tells us that the old timers stockpiled their material and waited for the creek to flow. I'm guessing they diverted the water flow to the north side of the claim and ran their long boxes in this area which is where TP 1 & 2 are located. The goal was to find the old creek and perhaps virgin ground, this is why we moved south of TP2. This claim has a small drainage area with a couple of lode mines nearby. The gold and material is course which tells me it did not travel too far from the source. The area between the current hillsides is only 300 ft or so wide. The old creek must be located in this area but TP3 suggests there is approximately 5-7 ft of overburden over the old creek. Even though we did not recover any gold from TP3 it still gave me some info that I didn't have. Our plan is to go back to TP2 and continue running this material until I get motivated enough to dig another test pit further south of TP3. I really cant complain about the gold we are recovering in TP2, we are averaging 2 grains per 5 gal bucket which doesn't sound like much but that is almost 1 dwt per 10 buckets which adds up over each weekend running 40-50 buckets of material. In addition we have taken 2 nuggets over 1 dwt. I call this gold second hand gold as it must have been mined and escaped the old timers long boxes.