Sign in to follow this  
Gambrinus

Eluvial Placers

Does anyone have experience with gold recovery in eluvial deposits?

I do not want to crush it, but to make it even harder, water is a problem. So I also wonder about dry washers, but if that is the answer, I hope they make dry washers without the dust, but I doubt they have that problem fixed.

My experience is a sluice box will load up easily, because the gravel is angular and not rounded, but any ideas at all will be welcome.

I'm working eluvials and tailings, strictly detectors for me. GB2

Fine stuff is >100 mesh and as you say, angular.

I just crushed a specimen, via a Braun jaw crusher, impact mill and then Gold Cube. 

Classified the material AFTER the Gold Cube and then panned.

Checked my outflow from the Gold Cube, nada.

Gold down to minus 100 mesh.

I don't know how to answer your question, about what is an eluvial gravel, however I do know that stream gravel that is angular and has not moved far is considered eluvial gravel, but you could also say that a residual placer, is an eluvial placer.

Thanks for making me think more about what I am doing, but then I already knew I was chasing my tail.

I have been out of the gold business for some time, so I guess I need to learn what makes a gold cube tick.

Never heard of that before.

That may be the best answer, is to crush it first, but i hate to chew up nuggets.

The gravel is mostly flat, so for testing, the cube would be fine with your set up.  but that would not do if it went into production.

Harry, I ran the cons through the Cube without classifying then went back and classified and panned the outflow. Zero finds so the Cube caught all of it first pass.

I had thought about putting a copper plate on the top level with some mercury as I didn't think the very small stuff would be captured. I can now process with knowledge of what will be caught.

Harry, I ran the cons through the Cube without classifying then went back and classified and panned the outflow. Zero finds so the Cube caught all of it first pass.

I had thought about putting a copper plate on the top level with some mercury as I didn't think the very small stuff would be captured. I can now process with knowledge of what will be caught.

I'm new to this forum and don't know where to post this question:  Regarding gold deposition, what is the best gradient / slope to look for in dry stream beds on Google Earth (with topo overlay)?  I'm looking at dry stream beds in the Cargo Muchacho Mountains, Imperial County, California.  Thanks.