Sign in to follow this  
GoldBellMining

Keene 4" Deluxe Or Ultra Mini?

For me it is more about portability. If sampling i.e. moving constantly, I prefer the mini, and used one last couple summers for just that. If I were parked in one spot day after day, then I would tend more to the deluxe.

I can move the mini by myself from one place to another in four trips. That is actually breaking it down and packing it someplace.

Ive had a few other people mention proline, but I get conflicting information. Yes, Proline is a more expensive brand, but what about it makes that big of a difference? The keene is about 500 bucks less. Which isn't much, but when your trying to get started, all those little savings stack up, Aside from just the brand, is there a reason you would pick proline over keene?  Or is this more of a preference thing.. Dodge vs Ford?

I like simple and so I do like the Proline dredges. Keenes frames and boxes are needlessly complicated. But Proline did take a major price increase and the larger units are running more than a grand over the Keene.

The Keene mini 4" is pretty darn similar to the Proline more so than the larger units. I was pretty happy with it. See http://www.facebook.com/detectorprospector?ref=hl for a couple great photos.

Proline built industrial tough to last for twice as long. If you mistakingly buy keene buy wire mesh and cover footvalve as holes are HUGE,allows bigger rocks in to eat up your pump,blast holes in your jet and wear out that paper thin garbage hose they come with stock-John

I have a 3" mini and love it, Also 6" w/3 stage sluice, both keene, I wont spend the extra for a proline, seems flat out stupid! Take care of it, cover it out of the sun/rain and you will pay for it many times over with gold. Keene has no wing nuts and the riffles are on a hinge, very fast to check upper sluice. The 3" really needs a curved swivel nozzle and set up with a power jet hose to the nozzle for very shallow bedrock(nozzle will pick up prime immediately if you suck air.) AMDS puts tigerflex hose on and both use Honda engines, one has alittle tig welds the other doesn't, so what, take keene pump apart and polish it up. (its called blueprinting) 

First post, new to the forum, i have a dahlke 2 1/2, can pretty much carry it in.But i see some references to hoses, and i do get tired of pinhole leaks in the hoses.Any info on the best to use i'd appreciate.Also as far as foot valves, and damage to pumps, i find that if i put my foot valve in a small bucket with a few larger rocks in the bottom,(to keep it submerged), tie the handle to the foot valve, it keeps any debris/sand, out of my pump, its good insurance,