Sign in to follow this  
Mark Tillman

Search Coil Questions

My detector is a ML GPX-4500 model and I've been using a round 8" mono Commander coil as my primary coil. I have two DD coils but they seldom see any use. I would like to purchase at least one and perhaps two larger coils to add to my limited arsenal and I'm looking at something like a 14" elliptical mono or a 14" round mono coil to start with. From my understanding, the 14" elliptical (14"x9") coil would really not give me much more ground penetrating capability (comparable to a 9" round coil) so the 14" round might be the better choice. However, there's been numerous occasions when I would have liked to have had an elliptical coil for reaching into narrow spaces while working creek beds and such so I consider coil shape an important factor as well. So far, I've confined my detecting to areas that stay within the limitations of the 8" coil but I would like to have a coil capable of working more open terrain with ground measuring a foot or more so my first question is 'what would be a good all around coil to go with if I were to purchase just one additional coil?'  Second, if I were to purchase a second coil, what would that one be? And finally, if you were limited to using only one coil, what coil do you think would see the most use? I mentioned the 14" search coils above, but I'm not limiting myself to just that size and would also consider going either larger or smaller based on recommendations. Thanks, Mark Tillman

I use my 12 inch round NF for everyday use. It's an amazing coil with excellent depth and sensitivity. I would highly recommend one.

Mark,

I like your choice of the 8" Mono as an all around coil.  It fits in pretty well between the vegetation, is pretty light, pretty sensitive and deep enough for most work.  I would find a used joey for tighter spots or for any work in creekbeds ect as they are waterproof at least the newer one's are and they are very sensitive on very small gold.  Get one of the new 14 or 16" Coiltek Elite mono's for deep targets and is pretty sensitive as well per reviews I have seen and respect.

http://gerrysdetectors.com/the-new-coiltek-14-round-elite-mono-coil-review-by-staff-member-scott-thurber/

Dan and Roughwater,

Sorry for this late reply back-vacation plans and travel kept me off line for a while. I did pick up a second mono coil; going with Nugget Finder's new 13x17 inch Evolution model coil. My initial opinion of the coil is that it's remarkably sensitive for it's size. And having used the  8in mono almost exclusively since getting into gold detecting, the larger size sure is nice when it comes to covering more ground. I'm looking forward to using it in some of the more open areas where the size and greater depth capability should prove more useful. Thanks for the comments.

Mark Said:

I did pick up a second mono coil; going with Nugget Finder's new 13x17 inch Evolution model coil. My initial opinion of the coil is that it's remarkably sensitive for it's size. 

Mark, David,

I haven't been back to this website in a while but I also purchased the NuggetFinder Evo 13X17 and also the Evo 14X9 coil but won't get to any goldfields till July something.  I like the look and build of those coils and suspect they will work great.  The Evo 14X9 though was hard to find and I lucked out in getting one and are probably still pretty rare here in the States right now.  

Terry