Sign in to follow this  
hardrockpaul

Manganese Markets

Been a hardrock prospector for years here around Wickenburg, Az.   Have often run across what looks like some reasonably good Manganese deposits. Is anyone aware of any potential manganese markets for the small miners, I understand that big companies and big government try to keep monopoly on things to try to keep the little guys squeezed out, but there might still be an opportunity somewhere.   Thanks for any comments.

Manganese is a low price commodity, with raw ore values at only a couple of dollars a pound. Buyers are interested in large bulk sources of hundreds of tons, not really something a small prospector could supply easily. Most consumers of manganese in the US are associated with steel manufacturing in the eastern US, so long haul transport of the ore by rail would also be needed. This is why small operators just dont have the ore and capital to get involved with the manganese market.

On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 11:20 AM, Reno Chris said:

Manganese is a low price commodity, with raw ore values at only a couple of dollars a pound. Buyers are interested in large bulk sources of hundreds of tons, not really something a small prospector could supply easily. Most consumers of manganese in the US are associated with steel manufacturing in the eastern US, so long haul transport of the ore by rail would also be needed. This is why small operators just dont have the ore and capital to get involved with the manganese market.

Chris :  Thanks for the comments.  I agree that the transport is the big issue.  I know of several deposits on BLM that could produce big tonnage, but after dust and smoke settles good possibility that the transporter is only one that comes out on top.  I think China buys it too, but on other side of the earth.  Another possibility might be someone that uses it for something besides steel, and possibility of trucking to somewhere closer.