I am wondering how hard would it be to build my own trommel. Need one that does about 10yph and I am dealing with some clay. Looking at retail prices around $16,000. They don't look that complicated and I'm wondering how difficult they are to build. Do they have to be built very precise to get all the fine gold? Where can I get plans to build one?

I just completed my trommel about a month ago. It is a lot cheaper and actually a very fun build. You can build it any way you want. It took me about 2 months but it only runs about 2 yards per hour with 2 guys shoveling. Mine is a 14 inch drum that classifies to 3/8 and runs through a 14" x 4' sluice with expanded metal and moss. Worked good. I'll try to get pics up.

JH NOW YOU ARE IN smara REGS AREA AS BIGGER WILL COST YA BIG TIME. epa ETC ETC ETC. sMALL,LEAN,CLEAN,QUIET ,PORTABLE WORKS MUCH BETTER. iFN' YA GOTTA MOVE 10 YARDS A HOUR IS IT REALLY THAT GOOD A GROUND. oops sorry bigger presents a whole world a trouble all around-John

My mining partner and I are in the process of building our own trommel. If you have the time, money for materials, and the skills and place to build it, you can probably save a lot of money. Remember that your time is worth something. In our case, we have all the above and will save a lot of money in the end. Sure there will be some fine tuning and trial and error but we will have built it with pride! Good luck.

It was very fun to build but like mentioned above if you have most of the stuff then it is pretty cheap to build. Plus it helps to have a partner that has a stash of odd and ends. What I didn't have he most likely did. Obviously there are some things you will have to buy but it is still cheaper in my eyes. And of course if you are just shoveling into it then it is still considered casual use. IN MOST PLACES.

Look around for some used ones. I don't know where you are located, but if you have gold, you're in trommel country.

I just bought one yesterday for $100 Looking at it, you would wonder why I spent the money! It was made around 1915 with parts from??.

The drum((about 30" x 6') has two ore tracks forged around it that run on ore cart wheels that are attached to an old manure spreader set of axles. It has a 36 to 1 speed reducer so old I can't find reference to it on the internet.(Winsmith speed reducer model 31/2B)The bearings were made of oak with grease fittings. One of the drive shafts is a rearend axle fron a model A? One other bearing is a carrier bearing from a 1948 Ford pickup(must be a replacement) The drum has a forged(I don't know how they did it?) heavy, angle iron spiral the full lenght to carry the fines out. Inside of that, they made a cylinder from woven wire screen(3/8" holes) and attached that to the spiraled angle iron. it extends about 18" longer than the solid drum. Then, inside of the wire cylinder, they forged another spiral to carry the oversized out. The drum does not tilt towards the outlet, it tilts slightly to the intake side.

It ran on about a 3? hp B & S engine. A 2.5 hp replacement engine ran me $92 I am making new oak bearings(i'll put bronze bushings inside of it this time)

It will be spitting out gold next week!

So, if you know the principles behind a trommel, you can build anything!!

Sometimes its easier to prewash your material to break up the clay rather than in the trommel? Lots of spray bars before it gets to the trommel.

If your talking about 10yds/hr., and $16000, you must want one big enough for a mini excavator, Ill try and get my build pictures on here soon(im new on this forum) but in short for now, my drum is 18"x 9'x1/4" thick. I picked up a Honda with a 2:1 reduction on it(wanted the 6:1) and got all pillow block bearings,sprockets, and shafts from a gocart shop.I had to use a jack shaft(because of the 2:1) to get my drum speed down. I havnt finished it but feel it will do 8-10 per hr. I think I will have around 2000 to 2500 into it. That includes a second motor, spare drive parts and a 18"x8' sluice.